Nothing beats homemade pizza dough, and this recipe is vegan and only 6 ingredients, all of which are easy to find and are most likely in your pantry already. You can make this sweet or savoury by using whatever toppings you like. Best of all, this dough can be made up to 2 days prior to using. Just portion and leave in the fridge, covered with cling film (plastic wrap).
Makes 4 pizzas – Takes 90 minutes
- 2 cups plain flour
- 1 sachet (7g or 1 1/2 tsp) dried yeast
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp sugar
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup + 1-5 tbsp luke warm water
- Stir the oil and sugar into the water, add the yeast and let sit for 10 minutes, at which point the mixture should be foamy. (if it is not foamy wait another 5 minutes otherwise use different yeast).
- Sift flour into a large mixing bowl, add salt and stir to distribute.
- Make a well in the centre of the flour. Pour the yeast mixture into the well and using a wooden spoon, or your hands, stir to form a dough, add more water if needed.
- Knead on a lightly floured surface for 5 minutes and place in a large, clean bowl. Cover with plastic wrap (cling film) or a damp tea towel and leave in a warm place for an hour, or until doubled in size. (I put my oven on the lowest setting and stick a wooden spoon in the oven door to leave it open).
- Gently remove dough from the bowl and place on a lightly floured surface. Knead 6-8 times and then divide into 4 equal pieces. Roll to desired shape and use desired toppings.
- Cook on a hot oven (at least 220°C/430°F) until the dough is cooked, around 10-15 minutes, though this is dependent on toppings used.