My mother has been collecting recipes since she was a young child and adding them to a scrapbook. She recently showed me all of these magazine clippings and among them, an upside-down stuck out to me.
This recipe was originally not vegan and had a method which didn’t make much sense. So this is the version I made and couldn’t stop eating. Enjoy!
- 3 tablespoons vegan margarine or butter
- 3/4 cup brown sugar (or preferred sugar)
- 2 pears
- 1/2 cup melted vegan margarine or butter
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup apple puree/sauce
- 1 tbsp chia seeds soaked in 6 tbsp boiling water for 10 minutes (substitute for 1/4 apple sauce)
- 1 cup self raising flour, sifted
- 2/3 cup almond meal
- 1/2 cup milk (I used soy)
- Preheat an oven to 180°C (355°F). Line a 20cm (8in) cake tin with baking/parchment paper.
- Melt 1/2 cup butter and stir in half the brown sugar. Pour this mixture into the bottom of the cake tin.
- Peel the pears and cut into thin slices. Place into the bottom of the cake tin as desired.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk the remaining (2 tbsp) butter with the remaining brown sugar, as well as the vanilla and almond extract, until creamy.
- Add the apple sauce to this mixture and whisk until combined, add the chia egg and repeat this step.
- Sift the flour into the mixture and stir to combine. Add the almond meal, and milk and stir again to combine.
- Pour mixture into the cake tin (over pears) and smooth out with a spatula. Tap the cake tin on a counter a few times to level the mixture.
- Cook for 1 hour or until a skewer can be removed cleanly.
- Remove cake from tin after 10-15 minutes and place onto a serving plate.