This bread is only 4 ingredients and incredibly simple to make. It’s knead free. This was a hit at my household, I hope it is at yours too.
- 3 cups plain flour, sifted
- 1 1/4 tsp salt
- 1g (1/4 tsp) dry yeast
- 1 1/3 – 1/2 water
- Combine dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl and stir together.
- Create a well in the centre, gradually add the water and stir with a wooden spoon, until a sticky dough forms, you may not need all the water.
- Cover with cling film or a damp tea towel and let sit in a dry place out of direct sunlight for at least 12 hours, 18 is preferable.
- Using a floured spatula slowly release the dough from the sides of the bowl (the dough should be stringy as it is released from the bowl).
- Place on a lightly floured surface and, without kneading, form into a ball.
- Wrap lightly in a floured tea towel and place in a bowl. Leave until doubled in size (1-2 hours).
- 30 minutes until the end of proofing, place a large cast iron pot with lid, or oven proof dish with lid in the oven at 200°C (390°F).
- Using thick oven mitts, remove the lid from the dish place baking/parcment paper to the base, and add the dough, cutting a design into the top if desired.
- Bake for 30 minutes with the lid on, then remove the lid and back for another 15-30 minutes or until the crust is browned.
- Wait until the bread has cooled completely before cutting.