This vegan breakfast, dessert or snack is hard to stop eating. It’s full of dates and cinnamon and is perfect on its own, with margarine or toasted with fruit.
Serves 8-10 – Takes 1 hour 20 minutes
- 4 medium ripe bananas
- 1/3 brown sugar
- 1/2 cup oats
- 1 1/2 white flour
- 3 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 5 tbs margarine, melted
- 1/3 cup + 2 tbsp milk (I used soy milk)
- 2 tbsp ground cinnamon (or to taste)
- 1/4 tbsp ground nutmeg
- 1 cup chopped dates
- 1 pinch of salt
- 3/4 cup walnuts + more for decorating the top of the bread
- Preheat an oven to 180°C (355°F).
- Mash the bananas in a large bowl.
- Add the flour, oats, baking powder, sugar and salt, mix to combine.
- Add melted margarine, stir to combine.
- Add 1/3 cup of milk, stir to combine, and add more if needed.
- Add cinnamon, nutmeg, dates and walnuts, stirring to combine.
- Place into a loaf tin, lined with baking (parchment) paper*. Decorate the top of the bread with walnuts.
- Bake for 50-65 minutes.
*Note: To help line the loaf tin with baking paper, first line the loaf with oil or an oil spray. Place the baking paper over the loaf tin, then cut slits into the corners. Push into the loaf tin. Cut overhanging paper to avoid burning.