This is a delicious lunch or snack, perfect for when you want some delicious quickly. It’s vegan and nut-free, with pesto, sun dried tomatoes and capers making it packed full of flavour.
This was my lunch a few days ago. It tastes great when paired with my apple and quinoa salad:
Serves 1, Pesto serves 4-6 – Takes 20 minutes
Ingredients for pesto:
- 1/2 cup of pepitas
- 3 handfuls of basil
- The juice of 1/4 of a lemon
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 handful baby spinach leaves
Ingredients for roll:
- 1 roll- I used an Italian herb roll
- 1/2 tomato, sliced
- 4 Semi dried tomatoes, cut into small pieces
- 1/2 tbsp capers
Method for pesto:
- Place pepitas in a dry pan on medium heat to toast, stirring occasionally to prevent burning.
- Place pepitas in a mortar and pestle and crush into small pieces, until no whole seeds are left.
- Remove seeds and crush basil and spinach, reincorporate the seeds, add lemon juice and as much olive oil as you would like.
Method for roll:
- Cut a roll in half and add pesto generously. Add sliced tomatoes and grill for a few minutes, until the tomatoes are warmed.
- Add sun-dried tomatoes and capers to the roll and serve.