This is one of my favourite breakfasts, it’s easy to make and full of flavour and nutrients. It keeps you full and leaves you satisfied. This vegan, gluten free (if using gluten free oats) and easily modified to nut free breakfast is perfect for the whole family.
This is a recipe that is incredibly simple. All you need is a jar that you can screw tight, preferably air tight but this isn’t essential. I measure everything in the jar, shake the jar to combine, add milk and the flavour I want to add, shake again and then place in the fridge.
- Rolled oats
- Dried fruit- I used raisins, dried black currant and dates
- Flax seeds
- Chia seeds
- Nuts- I used raw almonds (for nut free replace with seeds or dried fruit)
- Milk- I used soy milk
- Flavour- I used rose water. Vanilla, cacao powder and cinnamon are also delicious.
- Liquid sweetener- I used maple syrup
- Pour 1/3 of a jar worth of oats into the jar.
- Add a few tablespoons of chia and flax seeds into the jar.
- Add nuts, pepitas and dried fruit in the quantities you prefer to fill up the jar. Leaving the lip of the jar empty.
- Screw lid shut and shake jar to combine dry ingredients (this takes a few minutes).
- Add milk to fill up the jar, pour slowly with breaks such that the milk can absorb before adding more. Leave the lip of the jar without milk if using a liquid flavour i.e. rose water or vanilla extract.
- Add sweetener and flavouring. Close jar and shake (over a sink preferably) to distribute the flavour. This may cause milk to run down the jar, just wipe the milk after shaking.
- Place in fridge overnight and serve.