This is my favourite salad, it’s deliciously addictive and full of iron, protein and good fats. This vegan, gluten free and nut free salad will satisfy any house guest.
This salad is a perfect accompaniment to just about any lunch or dinner. I was served a similar salad with pomegranate at a restaurant which was absolutely delicious and had to make it myself, when I realised that using dried cranberries and chopped apple makes it both easier but more balanced.
Serves 4-6 – Takes 15 minutes
- 1/3 cup quinoa (I used tri-colour)
- 1 apple (pink lady, royal gala, Fuji)
- 120 rocket (arugula)
- 4-5 tablespoons pepitas or favourite seed
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Balsamic vinegar
- Optional: 1/2 tsb balsamic glaze (can replace with liquid sweetener)
- Soak dried cranberries in boiling water for 5 minutes, then drain.
- Cook quinoa until soft, 8-10 minutes, then drain.
- Place quinoa and dried cranberries in a large bowl, drizzle in olive oil, vinegar, and balsamic glaze (or sweetener).
- Wash rocket (arugula) and place in the large bowl.
- Cut the apple into small pieces, place into bowl and coat in some vinegar, to stop it turning brown.
- Add pepitas and toss salad.