These muffins are a great breakfast or snack. They’re perfect to serve to guests, bring to work or to school. They’re gluten free (if using gluten free oats), nut free and easily modified to vegan, making them great for those with allergies or dietary restrictions.
These are a hit in my household, I hope they will be in yours too.
Makes 16 muffins – Takes 35-40 minutes
- 2.5 cups oats
- 3/4 cups (180ml) milk (I used soy)
- 2 to 3 overripe bananas- mashed
- 2 large eggs (I used flax)
- 1/4 cup honey (I used manuka, replace with your preferred liquid sweetener)
- 3 tbs margarine – melted
- 1 tsp baking soda (bicarbonate of soda)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 tbs vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup pepitas (replace with your preferred nut or seed)
- 1/2 cup dates – roughly chopped (replace with your preferred dried fruit or choc chips)
- Preheat the oven to 160°C (325°F) and toast the oats for 4-6 minutes on baking trays.
- Stir cinnamon into warmed oats.
- Increase oven to 180°C (355°F) fan forced.
- Blend 1.5 cups of oats (I used a blender) and reserve.
- Combine wet ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
- Add dry ingredients, mixing until just combined (over mixing can cause muffins to be tough).
- Bake for 18-22 mins.